A cop hits on me

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Sat Aug 29 14:45:48 PDT 1998

My two cents: Last summer, in Chicago there was an incident at an after hours (non-legal) Cop bar. Supposedly, the only blacks allowed inside are fellow cops, paramedics, or firemen. I'd been there a couple of times, not knowing about the racist code; the building was nondescript and you had to knock on the door three times in order to be allowed in.

The story was that a black guy tried to go in and when he wouldn't leave he was beaten up by a couple of off-duty officers. At least that's what the newspapers said. The bar was closed and supposedly punishment was to be meeted out. A day or so later, the papers said that what actually had happened was that this guy had been throwing chairs and being a nuisance and that the police escorted him outside. I heard that the bar was reopened.

It was if Mayor Daley pulled an Obe One Kanobe from Star Wars on the papers. "These aren't the droids you're looking for." "These aren't the droids we're looking for." "You can move along." "Move along."