The Social Security Debate, Cont'd

james withrow withrow21 at webtv.net
Mon Aug 31 10:30:56 PDT 1998

Max: "Doesn't it make more sense, therefore, to maintain a distinctive definition for social insurance programs and try to include the excluded within their orbit?"

I'd like to first agree with Max's assertion and ask a question of my own. Would we be going down the wrong path if we applied social insurance features to other government programs? Health coverage, for instance. Maybe wrap a few programs into one: college grants, AFDC, etc. A citizen makes some contributions to the program and then she or her children can draw from it?

Unemployment compensation and workmen's comp already fit the definition of social insurance, I suppose-- which brings up a couple examples of social insurance programs that have been nibbled at by the right.

James

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky) Subject: RE: The Social Security Debate, Cont'd Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:27:14 -0400 Size: 3082 URL: <../attachments/19980831/5c69e493/attachment.eml>