"activism"

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Thu Dec 3 02:53:15 PST 1998

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:28:44 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

>And a lot of the "activists" I've come across are proudly, deeply
>anti-intellectual - a perfect mirror image of those intellectuals who
are
>proudly, deeply anti-activist (e.g. Jameson's denunciation of Bob Fitch
for
>being an "activist"). An opposition that leads to the impoverishment of
>both.

In the conclusion to his postmodernism book, Jameson described DRUM and the League of Revolutionary Black Workers as "the single most significant political experience of the 1960s." That could be construed as an endorsement of activism, but I guess not. Wonder what Jameson's problem is.

Personally, I think the anti-intellectual activists are far more obnoxious than the anti-activist intellectuals. The phrase "armchair Marxist" really irks me. Those of us who don't live near any centers of struggle have no choice but to become armchair Marxists. If there were real, worthwhile activism 'round these parts, I'd be the first at the barricades. But it's just not so.

Let's tear down this whole bogus activist/intellectual dichotomy and concentrate on becoming Gramsci's "organic intellectuals."

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]