"activism"

Tom Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Thu Dec 3 16:35:47 PST 1998

Alex wrote:

>Personally, I think the anti-intellectual activists are far more
>obnoxious than the anti-activist intellectuals. The phrase "armchair
>Marxist" really irks me. Those of us who don't live near any centers of
>struggle have no choice but to become armchair Marxists. If there were
>real, worthwhile activism 'round these parts, I'd be the first at the
>barricades. But it's just not so.

What is a center of struggle? Here's where all that good pomo decentering talk comes in handy. Come to think of it, I've never found myself somehwere where there was no struggle to be a part of. Not sexy struggle, perhaps, with barricades and the like, but struggle none the less. But them I'm "spoiled" I suppose, surrounded as I am by dark satanic mills.

Tom

Tom Kruse Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-4) 248242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net