oiga compai ... se mueve, se mueve

Tom Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Sat Dec 5 17:21:56 PST 1998

Today [Friday 4 Dec.] the Cochabamba Fedartion of Factory Wrokers (FTFC) called for a rally to put a brake on government and Chamber of Commerce plans to force through regressive labor legislation. It was a resounding success, I'd say. Thousands participated: pensioners, market women, municipal workers, factory workers, and even -- my favorite -- the autonomus punks from the univeristy (about 20), who did a great job making posters, etc. Most moving for me persoanlly is wathcing the retired miners march by with their minging helmets on, an incredible dignity about them. They marched in two straight, single file lines, and allowed noone to cross or cut in front of them -- they controlled their space.

The leadership of the factory workers union went bare chested at the front to suggest "losing their shirts", with "death to neo-liberalism" and other slogans painted on their bodies. Many carried sticks and machetes; firecrackers and chants puncutated tha march; a major presence was felt as they shut down downtown after 4:00pm. Chants included "Pinochet and Banzer; the same cancer", etc.

Arriving at the plaza a bonfire was lit in the street. The unions burned flags of all the major political parties, as well as drafts of the labor legislation. As they did this, a traditional brass band played funeral dirges -- I love a sense of humor at a rally. People there did too, and things got happy. Next the band played a cueca, and about 20 of the retired mine workers started dancing. Next was supposed to be the speeches, but for a bit there the leadership couldn't get the miners to quit dancing.

Afterwards I chatted with leaders, protesters, others. The feeling was jubilant; many mentioned that they hadn't been at a rally like that in years. Similar rallys were held simultaneously in Santa Cruz and La Paz. One leader noted that it's been 13 years of neo-liberalism, and now, perhaps, things are starting to move a bit. We'll see. Anyway, a great Friday afternoon.

Tom

Tom Kruse Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-4) 248242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net