What Shakespeare thought if the American Indian

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Sun Dec 6 17:45:27 PST 1998

Tidbit: allegedly, Prospero was modelled at least in part on Giordano Bruno, the Renaissance philosopher and writer from Nola who was eventually burnt in 1600 for heresy. It is unclear whether Shakespeare and Bruno ever met, but surely Bruno was a good friend of other figures at court, such as Sir Philip Sydney and John Dee (Elizabeth' astrologer). Another character bearing strong resemblance to Bruno, both in name and statements, is Biron in "Love's Labours lost": his speech about love is closely modelled on "Lo Spaccio della Bestia Trionfante".

Bruno's interests were more about that peculiar mix of magics and natural science, common in the Renaissance, than about politics, but his liberalism, although confusingly, made him feel closer to the England of Elizabeth and France of Henry of Navarre than to the counter-reformist Spain of Philip the Second. That was, of course, the major damning factor that precipitated his trial and execution. Interestingly, the same issue resurfaced a few years later and almost cost Galileo his life: his "Dialogo dei due massimi sistemi" (published in 1632) has a structure very close to Bruno's "La cena delle ceneri"; and by additional misfortune the cover of its first edition was decorated with the logo representing a dolphin, which was understood by the Inquisition as a covert allusion to "le Dauphin de France".

See also Frances Yates, "Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition", University of Chicago Press; ISBN: 0226950077

Enzo

-----Original Message----- From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, December 07, 1998 1:14 AM Subject: re: What Shakespeare thought if the American Indian