World Bank memos

Mon Dec 7 07:19:34 PST 1998

Henry, There may be a "financial" crisis due to the withdrawal of short term credits and the near collapse of domestic banking systems but foreign direct investment has far from abated. In today's WSJ there is this article "Credit Squeeze in Asia Promises Windfall for Cash Rich Foreigners" by Erik Guyot:

"Problems in Asia banking system are creating a potential bonanza for cash rich US and European firms. Profitable companies here can't get funds from their bankers, so they are selling stakes to foreign investors...Across Asia US businesses are taking stakes in otherwise healthy companies that can't get bank loans. So far this year, US and European concerns have invested $8.14 billion in Asian companies outside Japan, according to trade publication M and A Asia, up from $3.35 billion last year." p. A26

Again we see the inter-penetration of opposites: monopoly stagnation marked by excess capital in the imperialist countries--imperialist aggression in the form of the seizure of productive assets abroad through the export of capital. This is the ABCs of Leninism, and I would have thought Henry c K understood it better.

yours, rakesh