Fw: UC-system T.A. Strike Update (fwd)

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Dec 9 06:32:31 PST 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Adam Stevens <a_ste at uclink4.berkeley.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> -In other words, the University has stated -a priori that it will not recognize the AGSE -- talks or no talks. -Personally, I think that the UC will "negotiate" with them until after they -grade the final exams and then they'll let the talks fall apart.

While I have a lot of skepticism of AGSE stopping its strike without any concrete win, the UAW folks would probably not have taken the Dem leadership's mediation too seriously without some threat backing it up.

The whole reason that recognition is such a hassle is that state labor law has been interpreted by some state courts (but not all) to prevent automatic recognition when a majority of grad employees vote for recognition (which they have on all campuses at this point, I believe).

Passing recognition legislation for grad employees may be the first chip Gray Davis has to repay to labor for their support of his candidacy.

--Nathan Newman