Marxist critiques of pomo

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Dec 9 07:35:08 PST 1998

I think it can be argued that philosophically, the debate over the relations between Marxism and pomo revolve around the possibility of developing a critical realism which acknowledges the existence of an external physical reality and which defines truth as the correspondence of our ideas to external reality but which also recognizes that our cognition of external reality is always mediated through our ideas and theories about the world. Therefore, while it doesn't make too much sense to talk about the "social construction of reality" as such it is perfectly legitimate to talk about the social construction of our knowledge of the world since our cognitive practices like science are always social practices. Roy Bhaskar for instance has argued that for Marx, two epistemological themes predominated:

(a) an emphasis on objectivity including the objectively

real nature of social reality and

(b) an emphasis on the role of praxis in human cognition which leads to a recognition of the socially mediated and socially constructed character of our knowledge of the world.

In Bhaskar's view to ignore either theme is likely to lead us astray. Unfortunately though, much of Bhaskar's own writing on Marxist philosophy tends to be impenetrable. However, in any case the problem with much pomo writing lies in the tendency to emphasize (b) at the expence of (a). It could be that Sokal perhaps falls into the opposite error but clearly the reason why his original hoaxing of _Social Text_ resonated as much as it did because it exposed the absurdities that many pomos fall into because of their denial or ignoring of (a).

If there is anything that I find Sokal weak on, it is that he (by his own admission) is not sufficiently well versed in the literature of the philosophy of science. I think that his instincts in favor of a scientific realism are sound but such a realism must be reconciled with the Marxian observation that our cognition of the world is always socially mediated. And to do that requires a sophisticated grasp of the philosophy of science.

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]