too much nature in New York

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Wed Dec 9 17:56:26 PST 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> Date: Thursday, December 10, 1998 7:31 AM

>Yes. It's going to be interesting even if we manage to stabilize world
>population at 12 billion. If it hits 20 billion by 2100, it will be a
>much-impoverished world...
>
>Brad DeLong

Brad, don't do a Malthus: error propagation makes utter nonsense of economic forecasts over periods of one century. By 2100 we might have much more efficient energy generation, much higher food productivity achieved through genetic engineering, etc. Unless, of course, the governments listen to the environmentalists' jeremiads and outlaw technological improvements.

Enzo