too much nature in New York

Henry C.k. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 9 19:52:27 PST 1998

Louis:

You and I have not agreed too often, but on this one I think you hit the nail right on the head. Enzo once told me DeLong has a good mind, and I have been looking for evidence of it from his recent postings. Unfortunately, all I have been able to find was his smug attitude and snide remarks. DeLong seems to delight in nitpicking trivial asides as if by catching an unwelcome position with a minor detail, he can demolish the essence of the whole argument (e.g. the "armed extensions" fuss over the possibly poor translation of Bourdieu's excellent piece), while all the time he evasively avoids putting his own position on the table. Perhaps this style is considered clever for Treasury Dept. policy meetings, but its certainly is a waste of cyberspace. It could also be a cover up for deep seated insecurity or intellectual dishonesty. Guerilla warfare is unbecoming for members of the establishment. Honorable men can disagree honorably and occasional bantering can even be amusing. But reading Delong's posts is getting to be a waste of time. People are suffering in Asia because of the policies with which Delong is closely identified. That fact makes the cavalier tone in his posts fill one with a sense of utter repugnance.

Henry