It's a Battlefield Out There

Charles Miller bautiste at uswest.net
Thu Dec 10 18:33:40 PST 1998

Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

>>Do you think Heidegger would have appreciated Hubert Dreyfus' use of
him to illuminate the possibilities opened up by the Woodstock Music Festival? Did Hannah attend? I would like to have heard them all converse about whether Jimi's use of the electrical guitar was the release of Dionysian urges without the destruction of technology (well did he smash the guitar at the end of the anthem?) >>

Rakesh, I'd think Heidegger was into the western classical tradition of music. I think he'd have found Dreyfus' comments a propos with regard to possibilities opened up by technology. Jimi's screeching warplanes soaring above the Woodstock morning in the death throes of the deconstruction of the Star Spangled Banner may have brought a glint to his eye--but remember, his whole idea of ontology presupposes shared practices and upbringing. The question is, could he have stepped outside his own "world" to understand a young black genius tearing up the sky with not only Dionysian fury but facing up to being-towards-death in the art work that works at the margins of not only social mores but artistic canons. Yet, he found much in Trakl the incestuous, so maybe he'd have overcome those fascistic tendencies to denigrate people of color.

>>By the way, Karsten Harries makes a good and very
stimulating case that Herbert Marcuse's One Dimensional Man is the realization of Heidegger's critique of technology, >>

I've got a book on Marcuse on my shelf, which I have not yet read. It's got a whole section on Marcuse and technology--one by Claus Offe, the other by Andrew Feenberg.