Merger Mania

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 12 13:10:56 PST 1998

Tom:

A specific observation on the US domestic steel industry. Bethlehem has terminated all its domestic metallurgical coke production in favor of cheaper and cleaner (for the US environment) imported coke from South Korea, Japan and China, taking advantage of the temporary low price of coke caused by the slow down of demand for steel in Asia and also the currency devaluation. Steel is one of the early casualties of the Asian contagion to US shores Now, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out this is a dead end strategy for US domestic steel, because imported coke will not stay low price forever. For a while in the 70s, companies such as Lukens excelled because they concentrated on specialty high grade steel priducts, but they failed to build a lasting cooperative relationship with their unions. Also offshore facilities have been catching up on the technology. Lukens has since been merged. There is no way to save the domestic steel industry on economic terms within currency trends. The only hope rests on economic nationalism, i.e. tarrifs, quotas, anti-dumping 301s, etc. Unfortunately, the US is the leading crusader against economic nationalism. It is to U.S. domestic steels's interest to close rank with Asian economic nationalism, led by Malaysia, to fight global capitalism on behalf of workers and small business. The strongest case of course is the need for a reliable supply of steel in case of war. Also, domestic steel should support the army over the navy. The army places strong value on domestic supply, but the navy, in its hubris about its confidence in breaking enemy embargos, thinks globally for its supplies. Remmeber, the embargo on Japanese in oil and scrap iron led to Pearl Harbor within three years.

Henry