Merger Mania

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sat Dec 12 14:59:20 PST 1998

Dear Henry and Rakesh,

Henry, the defense arguments for maintaining a large capacity steel industry are dead. During the bellicose Regan administration the domestic steel industry shrank from an "on paper" total capacity of 175 million tons per year to about 70 million tons. Warfare has changed and steel isn't that big of a priority anymore---the tactical nuke is where its at.

The, sort of ,defense argument that I think works goes something like this: people all over the world need clean water, irrigation, and sanitary sewer systems. We in the USA make the best equipment to solve these types of problems. We make the pipe, we make the pumps, the motors, have the technology to make the deserts and wastelands of the world bloom. We should be exporting this equipment and these technologies. It's low tech---it's also what people need in the 3rd world. To my way of thinking this makes long term friends and allies.

Coking is a great example of exporting pollution to the 3rd world. Just when we are starting to get a handle on clean coke making technology; coke making gets exported to the 3rd world where it will be produced by 19th century methods and under 19th century conditions. If you ever saw a beehive coke oven in operation or an orange colored creek you would know what I mean. Even under the best of conditions coke making is a dirty demanding business that requires a skilled workforce and the latest in technology.

Lukens had good relations with the steelworkers. The Bethlehem merger was a strategic move to hold onto a market segment. The Bethlehem steelworkers are a pretty good bunch; I know the fellows at Burns Harbor and Steelton the best and they have some creative ideas about things.

Rakesh, you have made a point. We may well be dead before some people "get it".

Your email pal, Tom L.