Fascist Music

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 13 20:27:55 PST 1998

The hurling about of "fascist" always hurries a debate into the stratosphere where nothing can be really debated. On the subject of loudness I have one comment, which may not even specifically relate to pop music except sort of indirectly. It is very difficult to find a public place (restaurant/bar) quiet enough to make at all relaxed conversation possible. I strive to avoid any hint of nostalgia in my thinking (in my youth things were *really* lousy and not to be regretted at all), but I must confess to something like that for bars where one could talk. In 1951 even San Antonio had 20 or so bars in which it was possible to hear the person across the table without straining.

Carrol