cyberutopian libertarianism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 14 09:11:08 PST 1998

Enzo Michelangeli wrote, responding to me:

>>Did you ever have a moment where you thought that maybe furious change for
>>the sake of production is an appalling, destructive, even oppressive thing?
>>Even just a nanosecond?
>

>Did you ever have a moment where you thought that maybe the left is sinking
>into conservativism, and that could well be the reason for its declining
>sex appeal?

That ain't me, buddy. I've never been a Luddite or a sentimentalist. Why do you think the critique of ceaseless change in the pursuit of profit amounts to an embrace of stasis? Some change is good, some is bad; some hurts lots of people for the profit of a few, and some doesn't. Why you stuck on an either/or binary?

Doug