Women behaving badly

cathy Livingstone catseye at idmail.com
Tue Dec 15 13:36:58 PST 1998

I absolutely accept your argument on anorexia and bulimia and I've used texts such as Kim Chernin's 'Obsession' to argue that in a women's studies course I taught. And, I would even argue that ALL diseases have a cultural context (e.g. stress, environment, poverty, gender, class). But in saying so, why should CFS be singled out as a particularly 'cultural' disease in a political-economic context where cultural causes are denigrated and where only medicological models are accepted. This then 'diminishes' us because we are the exception - THE cultural disease. There is some political heavy-handedness going on here. Also, unlike anorexia/bulimia which is a process that builds up over time in a person's life, CFS hits like a whammy. One day you are well, the next day you are sick. Culture is powerful but I didn't know it could work in a day.

Cathy