Illness and culture

cathy Livingstone catseye at idmail.com
Thu Dec 17 00:35:25 PST 1998

I think it would be much more exciting to make the arguments about 'established illnesses' because then you would effectively challenge the status quo - the 'way of seeing' as John Berger would have it. However, what would be really interesting is to see how much 'systemic diseases' (CFS, MS, Fibromyalgia, and a host of others - I'm not sure if AIDS belongs or is a category unto its own) as a whole have increased, where they've increased and then perhaps environmental (as Liza's post argues), cultural issues can be clearly articulated. But I think this too has to be within the context of a general cultural/class/gender model of disease.