Striker Loses Foot

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 16 13:09:47 PST 1998

> Southwire striker James W. Jones was passing out handbills at the
> company's corporate officies in Carrolton, Georgia, on November 11th,
> when the car of an employee who had stopped to take a handbill was
> struck from behind by another car.

(I heard Brad delong on the radio yesterday).

My union just went out on strike, and won in 4 days, surprisingly. This was TAs in the UoCalifornia system under UAW. It was surprising because only 2 people out of about 55-60(?) TAs in my department participated and it was ridiculous because I did all my work before I left and had to spend all this time getting the professor up to speed on what was going on, and then I ended up doing all the grading afterwards anyway. And out on this picketline, it seemed like there were about 20 people, all from the sociology and math departments (math people are political I guess), and I was just getting all depressed standing out there, having some frat boys yell at us, people in my department were kind of whispering and passing around my name... the UPS trucks just went to different entrances a lot of the times and didn't respect the line, and from my vantagepoint this just didn't look like it would be too successful, but I suppose the administration had just been playing hard to get so that we didn't feel impelled to ask for smaller class sizes as well. At least the sociology people were creative enough to teach us all some dances and songs etc. Christine