Al the Bubblemeister

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 16 13:10:52 PST 1998

Carl Remick wrote:

>We seem to be on the verge of another strike against Iraq AND a possibly
>prolonged Senate trial of Clinton lies in wait. Then there are the
>still-gathering clouds of global deflation. It's hard to see how the
>bubble will keep expanding in the face of all that.

>From today's NYT:

"To the extent I can tell, this hasn't been on people's radar screens," said Jeffrey Garten, the dean of the Yale School of Management and a former top official in the Commerce Department during Clinton's first term. "When you talk to CEO's now, what they are worried about is deflation, and the prospect that they are heading into an era of brutal competition and massive restructuring. The fact that Bill Clinton will be diminished in the next 18 months is not their greatest concern."

>From the Dec 13 NYT (quoting a cafe owner in Tarrytown, NY):

"I know that a lot of people are tired of it, myself included, but what's right is right, what's wrong is wrong," Janos said of Clinton. "I don't think he should be exempt. I'm afraid of what the market reaction would be, though. I wonder, in the scope of things, is it worth the turmoil?"

Doug