Billy C

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 18 05:50:57 PST 1998

Nathan Newman wrote:

> On the more general level, why does the left object more to military-based
> violence and death than to economic-based sanctions?

We don't. In fact most of us object far more to the sanctions, the brutality of the IMF, of the Democrats' steady dismantling of the few fragments of the welfare state the U.S. ever had, the ongoing plunder of the third world. But military actions catch people's attention, and sometimes offer an entry into the discussion of those other horrors of the liberal state and the capitalist class that generate the actions. They also nicely illustrate the utopianism of liberal support for the likes of Carter, Kennedy, Clinton, etc. etc. etc.

Carrol