delay & DeLay

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 18 06:54:14 PST 1998

Rosser Jr, John Barkley wrote:

>This is one of the reasons that the House
>Republicans feel unafraid to vote for impeachment, thereby
>getting "the Hammer" Tom DeLay off their backs who has been
>threatening everybody with Christian Coalition opponents in
>primaries if they don't support impeachment.

My window into the Washington right, Weekly Standard & New York Press writer Chris Caldwell, told me the other day that if the impeachment vote were to be delayed by 2-3 weeks, the country would get to know DeLay better and would develop a Gingrich-level revulsion against him. Caldwell also pointed out this irony: Gingrich fell because of anti-impeachment feeling, but had he not fallen, the impeachment vote would never have happened. Gingrich is too much the establismentarian to have permitted it.

Doug