music question

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Fri Dec 18 21:49:59 PST 1998

G'day Frances,

I quite like 'Pet Sounds', but I reckon the fact of the matter was that the most daring, imaginative, and downright clever bands in the western mainstream at that time were not American (although, arguably, a couple were on their way). Segeant Peppers and even Beggars Banquet (and I refuse to forget The Kinks and The Who) were Pommy (Limey) products, and national pride demanded that the Yanks have their own geniuses. So Wilson got the nod.

White skin, all-American aspirations (shagging Californians in T-Bird backseats), no explicit politics, the necessary gravitas bestowed by the Y-chromosome (more necessary then than now) and (I'm given to believe) Republican sympathies combined to produce the necessary requisites for a local candidate. Wilson did experiment a bit, and had ideas that almost transcended the Beachboys' tiresome vocal signature.

Almost.

Cheers, Rob

You'd written: