music question

Steve Bruns sbruns at kuntrynet.com
Sat Dec 19 03:11:16 PST 1998

Hello All:

Perhaps you're missing the context of the Beach Boys. They pre-dated the English invasion and were fairly advanced musically compared to the "gimmick" songs and one-hit wonders (Brian Hyland "Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"; Little Eva "The Locomotion") that ruled Top 40 radio at the time. There was, no doubt, a white-boy, California culture component to their appeal but a listen to their imitators (Jan and Dean, Ronnie and the Daytonas, the GTO's) will confirm them as the definitive band of the genre.

Brian Wilson was diagnosed with , I believe, schizophrenia in the Sixties which may account for some of his "creepiness". "Pet Sounds" is good but give a listen to "Surf's Up" (the song and the album). It may help in trying to understand why Brian Wilson is held in such high regard by most music critics.

That said, give me Dick Dale or the Ventures anytime.

SDBruns