M-TH: Analyzing Neoli

Maria Gilmore Maria.Gilmore at gte.net
Sun Dec 20 19:46:22 PST 1998

Absolutely. One of the biggest, silent problems in our society is the shrinkage of "public space", where the rights of freedom of speech and assembly can be exercised in public view. Instead now we as a populace spend more and more of the time in privately-owned commercial space, like malls, which actively discourage any speech, activity, etc that might have a negative impact on their commerce...such as customers being exposed to political expression they might find distressing. Being private property, malls are able to openly regulate lots of behavior that you couldn't in a truly public setting: speech, language, dress, special rules based on age.

All malls are very security-minded, for lots of reasons, but especially for this one, according to my reading: it is crucial that a mall be perceived as a secure environment for women, because women are *the* most important consumers in our society. Order is very important to the bottom line.