Salon on Doug Henwood

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Mon Dec 21 20:48:49 PST 1998

><< To be honest Chris Hitchens has gotten a bit stale as the token lefty
> occasionally allowed to sneak on those shows.
>
> So where do we register Doug as the official pontificator for the
> culturally hip materialist left?
> >>
>Problem is, Hitchens and Cockburn have these cute English accents, and so
they
>are permitted to be charmingly leftish. It's a Brit thing, being on the
loony
>left, like shillings to run the heating and overcooked brusseols sprouts
and
>Birds' yellow custard. An American leftist would never do, especially one
as
>engaging as Doug. They fear it might be catching. Cheerio. --jks

Well at least Hitchens and Cockburn are intelligent enough to have plugged both LBO and Doug's book Wall Street. I realize it shouldn't but the continual slamming of Hitchens on this list is beginning to piss me off. And this chauvinistic, nationalist nonsense is also nauseating. Speaking of the culturally hip, Janeane Garofalo listed Hitchens "alongside Carville, Matalin, and Harry Shearer" as her favorite wits. I dunno, maybe she's just stupid and succumbs to his "cute" accent.

-Peter, telling X-mas carolers to shut the hell up