Salon on Doug Henwood

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 22 05:58:52 PST 1998

Peter Kilander wrote:

> I realize it shouldn't but the
> continual slamming of Hitchens on this list is beginning to piss me off.

I haven't paid too much attention to this thread, but a couple points on Hitchens. I heard him speak in Chicago once, and he is a good speaker with things to say. There are some things I find fairly unforgiveable in a leftist though. One is attacking abortion. The other is advocating that the U.S. take any sort of military action, under the delusion (it may even be willful ignorance) that progressives can have any say in the control or direction of that action. (He was one of the writers, Susan Sontag being another, who whooped it up for U.S. intervention in the former Yugoslavia.) I haven't really been able to enjoy his columns since then, as fine as many of them are in isolation.

Carrol