plagiarism

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Tue Dec 22 15:28:59 PST 1998

Actually there's so much of it around I don't know what to say. Martin Luther King plagiarized parts of his Ph.D. dissertation. I get several plagiarism cases a year, teaching. The Guatemalan book. Two writers at the Boston Globe, Mike Barnicle and a woman whose name I don't know. My ex-wife's father has a tenured job at Emerson College in Boston and never even wrote a Ph.D. thesis. I had thought to flatter him by dropping by Boston University to read it and then talk to him about it. Instead I found out that he had never written so much as a Master's thesis. Interestingly, he was a reverend and graduated in the same class as Martin Luther King.

It's hard to enforce, too. If I get a paper I consider possibly plagiarized, if I can't immediately find it on the internet then I would have to go to the library and root around (assuming I don't recognize it).

I had a Korean student who, in a course in international relations, plagiarized a paper by J.A. Hobson by me, that I had placed on the internet.

So some made-up elements in a book about Guatemala don't surprise me. I'm sure the right wingers plagiarize I just don't know how often they get caught.

Then there's the terrific scandal that plagued the 1st edition of Abraham's excellent book (which I've used in classes) on the Weimar republic. He apparently had used as verbatim quotations in teh book material from his archive notes that was in fact summaries. He was descended on by banshees and ended up going to law skool, driven from the history profession. I thought that such a "crime" "did not rise to the level" of impeachment but there you are.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298