3% of lobbying total is huge

J Cullen reporter at eden.com
Tue Dec 22 22:07:33 PST 1998

Gramm ostensibly stalled the Glass-Steagall repeal bill because it did not do away with the Community Reinvestment Act reporting requirements, but some cynics believe the real reason he killed the bill was to deny Al D'Amato a major legislative victory just before the election, which might hurt D'Amato in a tight race, contributing to his defeat, which put Gramm in the Banking Chair.

-- Jim Cullen