Ward Churchill/Laos? and CIA mind control in Canada

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 26 07:37:34 PST 1998

Apsken at aol.com wrote:

> For now I'll make a couple of brief points. The bourgeoisie and its armed
> agents are continually conspiring; that is their nature. Most of the time we
> never learn the details, or by the time we learn them, the moment of outrage has
> passed ...[SNIP]In most instances, such as the Kennedy assassination, Occam's
> Razor is....

The various CIA-etc. conspiracies against Cuba, against third-world liberation movements, etc. are (and always have been) more or less open secrets, as was the CIA involvement in narcotics and the U.S. use of chemical weapons, etc.

As to the bourgeoisie constantly conspiring, Adam Smith was clear on that. It's called business planning, etc.

But in the case of the Kennedy assassination, Occam's razor would seem to favor what is here called the Chomsky/Cockburn line. It is also pretty clear that the chief political use of conspiracy theories of the Kennedy assassination is in apologetics for the u.s. involvement in Vietnam. It takes the onus off the ruling class and puts it on a few glamorous cold warriors in the CIA. It lets the servants take the blame for their masters.

Actually, focusing on the conspiratorial features even of actual conspiracies is a political error. It plays to bourgeois individualism, to the ideology immortally sloganized by Thatcher in her claim that society does not exist, only individuals. (Though of course she reduced her claim to incoherence when she added "families" to "individuals." If families are real, then individuals are not.)

The aspect of capitalist social relations that creates the appearance of conspiracy was explained by Marx in this theory of commodity fetishism.

Carrol