clarity

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 27 16:53:27 PST 1998

>Marxism & Form was published in 1971, and Adorno's musical thought was
>formed in the 1930s and 1940s. I doubt Jameson could have lived through the
>60s without exposure to Indian music, but Adorno's probably another story.
>He had no interest in anything nonwestern, did he?
>
>Doug

Doug,

I don't think that you're on your good behavior here.

Ummm, I don't know for certain whether Adorno actually ever listened to Indian music, but he was a student--figuratively--of Max Weber and Weber's sociology of music does take up nonwestern music. Gad, I haven't read that since I was a sophomore so I'm recalling that it was something on the order of a rather universalizing account of the progress of musical development. Does anyone know if I'm right/wrong? So, on some level, Adorno must have known something--at least theoretically--about it and, I'd imagine, he may well just have been worldly enough to have heard it on occassion. Afterall, wasn't Adorno from a rather wealthy family. I really can't imagine that a wealthy German family didn't have exposure to such music, even if only for the purpose of exoticizing it.

Kelley