Gloom (was Re: Hutton on Labour splits)

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Mon Dec 28 06:11:05 PST 1998

>Ack, excuse my gloom....blame it on the Adorno references. But I do think
>that, while we might have a bead on what Thatcherism and Reaganism meant,
>Clintonism may well turn out to be equally pernicious.
>
>--Dan

What developments in '98 do people think were of a positive nature? I have a few suggestions.

Eureopean monetary union going forward under mostly "social democratic" governements. Kohl was tossed out, sort of like Bush in '92 and Churchill after WWII.

Indonesian students oust Suharto.

Monica and the Asian "flu" save Social Security.

The neo-liberal doctrine (Wall Street ideology) takes a big hit.

Activists defeat attempt to enact the MAI. (Was fast-track last year?)

American conservatives see to it that everyone is discussing blow jobs and cigars.

Jesse "The Mind" Ventura elected governor in Minnesota. Nearly a majority of the 18-44 year-olds voting, vote for him. (I saw Brian Lamb interview him last night. Ventura said his major political engagements before running for Governor were as follows. 1) campaigned against the draft, saying it was a way for rich people to avoid going to war. 2) campaigned for ERA with wife 3) campaigned to defend wet-lands from developers)

Al D'Amato and Newt Gingrich gone. Larry Flynt ousts Livingston.

Portuguese Commie wins Nobel prize for literature.

I liked that movie A Bug's Life, with its Marxist overtones.

The Clinton Administration's Russian policy shown to be a complete disaster.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I know there are a lot of "yes, buts" and "howevers"; am I not being dialectical enough?

Peter