WSJ hit on Menchu

Charles Miller bautiste at uswest.net
Mon Dec 28 18:19:06 PST 1998

Anyone know whether Menchu intended her book as a piece of imaginative anthropology, much in the style and genre of Carlos Castaneda? There is obviously much precedence for rendering fictional accounts from research and ethnographic data (look at Clifford Geertz's work on the role of writing and the thematics used by anthropologists in _staging_ their data). Melville's _Moby Dick_ was sold as a piece of non-fiction, if my memory serves me right.

I know there are those who denigrate this blurring of fact/fiction, but I think it has some validity within the context of literature. Of course, one needs to also to ask _how much_ of her book is true. Is it only the _autobiographical_ elements that are fictional? What about the background of violence, poverty, and genocide she writes about? That is unquestioned, is it not? I think Orwell's remark about art and propaganda could go a long way in this context.

chuck miller