The Price of Oil

Daniel drdq at m5.sprynet.com
Tue Dec 29 21:22:48 PST 1998

I wonder about Wall Street's role (and it seems to me that Wall Street is the dominant power in the Clinton Administration, by far). Yes, they want low inflation, which they supposedly have. But, isn't Wall Street much more worried that foreign debtors who are relying on oil and other commodity markets will default, as Russia is doing? Henry is no doubt correct that most of Russia's oil income goes to debt service. Isn't the fear of default the main concern on Wall Street? I mean, whatever they may think about the global strategic questions, they are people with big loans out, and they stand to lose a lot of money.

Personally, I couldn't possibly be surprised to learn that the recent bombing (and Iraq policy in general) answers to the fear of further declines in the price of oil. I just don't know how to answer that multiple choice question. There should be more choices, such as what does my brain say, and what does my heart say. This morning I saw a scene from a Woody Allen movie. Some guy says to Woody: "What are ya? Yellow-bellied? A coward? Spineless?" Woody says, "Keep going. You're in the right column."

Daniel