Tibet

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 2 07:32:32 PDT 1998

I was at a party the other night populated mainly by amiable meatheads, and one of them started in on Clinton's comments that the Chinese and Tibetans should talk with each other, negotiations that would be premised on Tibetan recognition of Chinese authority over Tibet. "Tibet is not part of China! Free Tibet!!," he exhorted, in a departure for a conversation that was mainly about sports and bad movies. I was surprised to hear this fellow getting so exercised about any political issue, which made me wonder once again - what is it about Tibet and the Dalai Lama? Why are it and he such obsessions among otherwise nonpolitical types? And is he really the abused innocent that Richard Gere and Patti Smith would have us believe? Can anyone elighten me?

Doug