Question concerning race and class

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 2 12:54:17 PDT 1998

Doyle,

While I agree that limiting racism to a moral issue is not a very effective way of addresing the problem (I made that statement in my reply to the list) - I am not quite sure if I follow you argument about dislexia. That English writing system is more difficult to master to a ceratin type of individuals is a fact not discrimination. It would become discrimination if it were used to deny a ceratin class of people righths that everyone else has, for example education, health insurance or employment.

I do not think that we need to overtun our entire writing system to acommodate dislexic persons to a productive life. A friend of mine was diagnosed with dislexia, he is not vey good with words, but he is very good with crafts and now works as a jeweler making twice as much as many people with PhDs. So clearly, he is not discriminated against because of his disability.

That, of course, does not mean that people are not cracking jokes about him behind his back, but I do not think this guy cares about such attitudes. I think iw would be really nice if people refrained from such behavior, but if I had a choice between changing people's attitudes and re-writing laws to provide for equal employment opportunity for dislexic persons, I would not think twice which option to choose.

Ditto for 'race.' No doubt Black kids need to work harder and require additional programs to overcome the disadvantages of poverty. No doubt it is not pleasant to be called names. But I do not think we need to overturn the enetire system to 'end racism' in the sense that an average Black person has equal opportunity (to be exploited at work) to an average White person. By contrast, puting the owners of labor on equal footing with the owners of capital would require a major change in the existing system.

So the bottom line is that we should focus on the alleviation of economic inequalities rather than healing emotional scars created by adverse attitudes. I think Americans became too preoccupied with psychology, feelings, emotions, victim mentality etc. to the point of losing the material and economic reality from sight. That might be good for shrinks but I think it makes a collective action very difficult. People will always hold some prejudices, I was considered a notorious dweeb in school and subject to constant harassment - believe me, not a pleasant thing that undoubtedly left some emotional scars. But that does not mean that I should spent the rest of my life fighting to end the 'discrimination' of dweebs. It is the issue of priorities.

Regards,