Tibet

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Mon Jul 6 18:35:38 PDT 1998

John Barkely Jr.,

Not to minimize what the Chinese have done or are doing, but

1) I have heard the "oppression" of the East Timorese termed genocide.

2)The U.S. arms Indonesia and has long been the main supplier for the Indonesian army. During the original slaughter, the U.S. actually stepped up arms shipments.

3)It has recently come out that, up to the present, the U.S. has been training Indonesian death squads secretly and one of the leaders of the Indonesian opposition actually wrote an open letter to President Clinton asking who is the target or enemy for this specialized training since Indonesia has no significant external security threats. (You can read the letter yourself in the June 98 issue of Harpers magazine)

4) How would you feel about a Chinese citizen who didn't think there was anything much to say about Tibet yet constantly complained about the treatment of the East Timorese? One thing to consider is that said citizen would probably get into some trouble for railing against her own government, while here in America we don't have to worry about that problem.