shooting fish in a barrel

Kirsten Neilsen kirsten at infothecary.org
Tue Jul 7 16:39:12 PDT 1998

i wrote:

> i think the original question about tibet (from doug?) raised exactly
> the opposite point. u.s. liberals, hollywood-types in particular, have
> rallied to the tibet cause because of some perceived mystical
> specialness of tibet and of the dali lama. where was/is the cavalcade
> of concerts/movies/benefits to aid east timor? so it's not the
> reflexive support of self-determination for timor but rather the
> unreflective romantic rallying to the cry for 'independence for Tibet' << that causes everyone's computers to instantly reboot. >>

Max Sawicky wrote:

Right. Doug was dissing celebrity crusaders, which is easier than shooting fish in a barrel, and I was citing left unwillingness to extend support for self- determination to Tibet in a consistent way, an unwillingness that is reflected in your own post.

i write:

uh, whatever. you have no idea where i stand in re extending support for self-determination to Tibet. i have only indicated what i think about unreflective romantic rallying to the cry for 'independence for Tibet'. these two positions are not indistinguishable, though your willingness to conflate them is refelcted in your own post.

cheers,

kirsten