who becomes conservative

michael michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Jul 9 07:44:58 PDT 1998

Michael Eisenscher wrote asked who did not become conservative after WW II. I would like to ask what was at work here?

I get the sense that an important factor was that, after WW II, the American dream seemed to be in reach for most people [except those excluded by the racial divide]. Earlier waves of immigrants, Finns, Jews, ... who had a long struggle to achieve prosperity maintained a substrantial reservoir of radicalism.

Other than the excessive generalizations and stereotyping involved in such speculation, am I off base here? -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu