who becomes conservative

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Thu Jul 9 09:30:25 PDT 1998

The end of WWII unleashed tremendous pent-up consumer demand that staved off the oft predicted postwar recession. Add to that Cold War spending, the purge of labor's Left, the McCarthyite assault on liberalism in the name of fighting communism, driving women workers back into the kitchen, suburbanization, the construction of the National Defense Highway System and its impact on auto sales and mobility, etc, etc, etc, and you have lots of raw material for a dramatic culture and ideological shift.

Michael

At 07:44 AM 7/9/98 -0700, michael wrote:

>Michael Eisenscher wrote asked who did not become conservative after WW II. I
>would like to ask what was at work here?
>
>I get the sense that an important factor was that, after WW II, the
American dream