idiocy

Fri Jul 10 09:22:07 PDT 1998

Who is Harry Dexter White ? I didn't even know who he was until this thread , and it seems he inspires a lot of loyalty and defense of his memory.

It seems to me that the person who unsubbed to LBO is sort of using the term "red-baiting" from the anti-red and not pro-red standpoint. Reds think of redbaiting as anti-reds attacking a red for being red. In this case, I think the unsubbing person doesn't like reds and is mad because he doesn't want Harry Dexter White to be a red, no ?

Now that he is dead, telling that he was a red can't get him in trouble, it is just giving him his due credit.

To me that White was a Soviet agent is to his credit. I'd like to find out more about the guy.

Hey maybe I will sub to LBO. What do you think , Doug ? I am reading your book, but I lent it to my brother temporarily.

Comradely,

Charles

>>> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> 07/10 11:25 AM >>>
Wow. The Harry Dexter White thread prompted this outburst from an LBO subscriber (who shall remain nameless):

This is someone who's received almost 50 issues of LBO in his subscription. When I pointed out that he was cancelling for something someone else said, not me, and that I'd even made fun of the idea, I got this response:

> It's not at all odd. You exercise editorial control over your
>thread. You permitted red-baiting of Harry Dexter White to take place on
>your thread. That shows me that you can't tell the difference between
>giving people a forum to discuss ideas and giving people a forum for
>hate mongering. It's a failure of judgement Doug. These red-baiters are
>not your friends. You don't have to help them to redbait people by
>giving them a forum for their hate mongering. Obviously I made a mistake
>when I subscribed to your publication.

How about that?

So Barkley, you owe me some compensation!

Doug