Overtime (was Re: happy autoworkers)

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 10 21:44:14 PDT 1998

"[N]o, people who work 80 hours a week have no life," but they can sure become resentful (whether their 80 hours earns them $100,000 or nearer $10,000 a year) of anyone who is paraded before them as not being "responsible." This pervasive overwork (at varying rates of compensation) must be one of the material bases of succumbing to contempt/hatred/etc of unruly teenagers, teenage mothers, convicts living in luxury (!), pedophiles, arrogant women, blacks, drug dealers, immigrants, everyone who can be prsented as not responsible as they are. I'm not praising sexual abuse of children -- too many of my friends in DMDSG were damaged by it, but I am noting that it is interesting that it is when hours of work are increasing while for most income is just holding its own so many new horrors ("individual" criminals) are discovered each month.

Carrol