Overtime (was Re: happy autoworkers)

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 19:42:44 PDT 1998

<< Can anyone working 80 hours or more per week possibly be 'happy'? It looks

more like a sign of desperation--work as much as possible while you can

because jobs may disappear in the near future. How can we put the question

of free time back on the agenda of the labor movement?

Yoshie >>

1. no, people who work 80 hours a week have no life.

2. this 80 hour a week business becomes part of the trap of capitalism/consumerism. Buy a house, have a couple of kids, insist your wife not work, and you end up with two jobs or one job with mega amounts of overtime, and you never get to see said house-wife-kids. When the contract is up and you go out on strike, you are in deep shit. This is why I think we all need to look beyond the $25-30-19-50 an hour and look at the actual exploitation taking place. The dollar amounts indicate priviledge, the reality is less attractive. maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com