Economic models and social economy.

chang chang at public.shenzhen.cngb.com
Mon Jul 13 04:12:03 PDT 1998

Dear Rakesh Bhandari, You ask: "Do crises tend to break out in the consumption goods sectors due to oversaturated demand? I thought the consumer goods industries tend to show the least cyclical variation. If there is overproduction of these consumer goods is that because there is really no need or no demand for them?"

The answer to your question is: "Yes, crises tend to break out in the consumption goods sectors due to oversaturated demand." Now, economists have a wrong explanation of overproduction and demand. They think about overproduction and demand of many types of goods and productions. I think about overproduction and demand of only one type of goods or production. The following explanation is from one of my article: "Among the arguments put forward in my thesis, there is a very key one: social demand for commodities would come to saturation. Now, let me give the following example to explain this argument of mine. If there is a country with a population of ten million and every two persons need a radio, then the whole population needs five million radios, which, in fact, is just the saturation point of social demand for radios for this country. After the development of radio production, when the total number of radios in this society exceeds five million, there will appear oversaturated demand, over-production and unemployment. Somebody would try to divide radios into A type of bad quality and B type of good quality. When A type radios is saturated and excessive on the market, then the production of B type is put into practice at once, which would, in some people's opinion, cause no unemployment. But, in my opinion, unemployment has really occurred. Because the production of A type radios and that of B type, as far as I can see, are totally different vocations. When workers lose their job of producing A type radios, they quickly turn to the job of producing B type. It is only because this process of transference happens so fast that the harm of unemployment has got no chance to appear. And the demand for B type radios for the society will also reach to the saturation point someday, which is all the same as A type radios. This is my explanation for oversaturated demand, unemployment and over-production." website: <http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Exchange/3058/letteraa.html>

And due to these, I found my model of economic growth. website: <http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Exchange/3058/>

Could you tell me who is Luigi Pasinetti and what is his theory? Why do you think my model of economic growth is roughly based on the ideas of Luigi Pasinetti?

-- Ju-chang He SHENZHEN, P.R. CHINA E-mail address: <chang at public.shenzhen.cngb.com> Welcome to visit My Home Page at <http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Exchange/3058/>