PKI in 1965

Sat Jul 11 15:32:44 PDT 1998

> Well, we should be. Especially whenever Trent Lott talks about how the real
> problem with the IMF is that it is keeping East Asia out of depression
> (because East Asian crony capitalists *need* to suffer, and not be bailed
> out by loans), or whenever Ralph Nader talks about how the real problem
> with the IMF is that it is keeping East Asia out of depression (because New
> York financiers *need* to suffer, and not be bailed out by loans)...

I thought the real problem with the IMF is that it is not keeping Indonesia and the rest of East Asia out of depression. And with the report of a worldwide collapse of prices in raw materials and the like as a result of the Asia crisis (good story in the NYT today), it seems to me that the IMF is doing little to thwart deepening catastrophe. Even a resumption of capital inflows seems to be predicated on massive concessions by the Asian working class, e.g., new rights to terminate workers in South Korea.

best, rakesh