PKI in 1965

Sat Jul 11 15:07:28 PDT 1998

>Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>
>>At any rate, the
>>on-going subsumption of those old Stalinist regimes under the new
>>Washington consensus hasn't much stopped the death march, has it?
>
>Hardly. Russian male life expectancy is now at late 19th century levels,
>and the population shrinkage there (and, to a lesser extent, elsewhere in
>Eastern Europe) is without precedent in peacetime. But since you can't
>point to a demonic Uncle Joe ordering the murders, no systemic judgments
>are passed. And what about the increase in mortality and decline in health
>caused by the Third World debt crisis? People all across Africa, South
>Asia, and Latin America died so that Walter Wriston's credits might be
>serviced. But, hey, who's counting?
>
>Doug

Well, we should be. Especially whenever Trent Lott talks about how the real problem with the IMF is that it is keeping East Asia out of depression (because East Asian crony capitalists *need* to suffer, and not be bailed out by loans), or whenever Ralph Nader talks about how the real problem with the IMF is that it is keeping East Asia out of depression (because New York financiers *need* to suffer, and not be bailed out by loans)...