Overtime (was Re: happy autoworkers)

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Sun Jul 12 00:08:46 PDT 1998

Apropos of Doug's point --

By comparison, in 1995, the Computer Manufacturing industry employed about 498,000, of whom only 2.1% were union members. Adding other electronics/information technology mfg. sectors (office equipment, communications, and instruments...but not aerospace), there were about 1.1 million workers of whom about 6% overall were union members. In the Silicon Valley, there is not a single semiconductor or computer manufacturing facility that is organized.

Despite much talk about organizing, as of this writing I am aware of not one union (or the AFL-CIO) which has committed resources and staff to a long-term sustained organizing effort in this **basic** industry. Can a labor movement looking to its future afford to allow so strategically important a sector to remain unorganized without putting that future into doubt?

At its present rate of decline, private sector union density at the start of the 21st century will stand only a couple of points higher than it was at the start of the 20th (then 5%). Ponder that statistic the next time you read an editorial about "Big Labor."

In solidarity, Michael E. (formerly the UE organizer in the Silicon Valley, 1980-84)