Should we celebrate the fall of the Soviet Union

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Jul 14 09:40:35 PDT 1998

Actually I have no disagreement with Louis P.'s main point, but he is repeating some nonfacts that I have seen several times now on this and some other lists.

In particular is that nonfact that somehow what would become West Germany was ahead of East Germany prior to WW II. Wrong. Most estimates suggest approximate equality between the two zones in 1939, with, if anything, the East having a slight edge in industrialization.

What is certainly true is that after the war the USSR pillaged the East until Stalin died while the West was showered with Marshall Plan aid, to keep it from "going Communist." Needless to say, this pillaging of the East does not quite sit well with LNP's claim that the USSR did not imperialize its satellites, although we do understand that the GDR was a special case.

After Stalin's death the GDR became a major industrial center, indeed, the major supplier for the CMEA of a number of high tech industrial items. Many of these industries went bust after the reunification because of the high exchange rate of the Ostmark and the inability to compete with Japanese and other capitalist suppliers of similar items to its former market.

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu