Arbeit macht frei

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 17 18:56:11 PDT 1998

Andrew Kliman asked for a cite on the NYC workfare boss's citation of the welcome banner at Auschwitz. Here it is. I like the way the controversy is entirely over whether the remark is anti-semitic, not whether the program itself smells of the work camp.

Wasn't Turner the guy who ran Wisconsin's famous welfare "reform"?

Doug