Microsoft 1, Navy (divide-by) 0

Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net
Tue Jul 21 10:32:28 PDT 1998

For the computer propeller-heads among you, and apropos various 'Microsoft' discussions over the last several several, check out:

http://www.gcn.com/gcn/1998/July13/cov2.htm

about a Navy 'SmartShip' that had its computer systems crash due to a divide-by-zero error, and notably, this quote

"Because of politics, some things are being forced on us that without political pressure we might not do, like Windows NT," Redman said. "If it were up to me I probably would not have used Windows NT in this particular application. If we used Unix, we would have a system that has less of a tendency to go down."

(Ron Redman, deputy technical director of the Fleet Introduction Division of the Aegis Program Executive Office)

Question:

Anyone know how much Microsoft does in sales to the armed services? to the federal govt (excl. armed services)? does govt pay street price for NT systems, or do they pay 'toilet-seat' prices for the same goods we get?

-- ____ Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net ___| --->> Engineering R&D <<--- Theoretical & Applied Mechanics | Designspring, Inc. Center for Radiophysics & Space Research | Westport, CT USA Cornell Univ. schaffer at tam.cornell.edu | les at designspring.com